Somerville Postal History
Lincoln County, Maine
last update for this page: 27 November 2020
Maine Postal History
Waterville Stamp Club
Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.
During the history of the town of Somerville, there have been two post offices.
Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. Patricktown post office opened on 4 October 1837, closed on 28 September 1838; and re-opened on 12 December 1838. On 24 April 1858, it was renamed as Somerville post office, which closed on 15 January 1908.
2. South Somerville post office opened on 6 January 1891 and closed on 10 April 1910.
In 1914, there were no post offices in Somerville.
Postmarks from the town of Somerville include:
1858 April 24:
The former Patricktown post office was renamed as Somerville post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)
1903 July 28:
The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter. (image side of card)
(click on image to enlarge)
1908 January 15:
Somerville post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)