Thank you for the contributions to this page from Marc Hasselbrack, James Husson, and the Strout family collection.
During the history of Old Town, there have been eight post offices.
Briefly, the history of these eight is as follows:
1. Blakesburg post office (in Bradford) was renamed on 23 September 1821 as Pushaw (1) post office, which was reamed on 3 July 1828 as Kirkland post office (in Hudson).
2. Great Works (1) post office opened on 20 February 1826 and on 19 January 1880 was renamed as Bradley post office.
3. Old Town post office opened on 3 January 1825 and is still operating.
4. Pea Cove post office opened on 18 June 1871, closed on 26 October 1906, re-opened on 15 November 1906, and closed on 15 July 1909.
5. Pushaw (2) post office opened on 20 November 1899 and closed on 14 March 1906.
6. Stillwater post office was established on 28 November 1840 and was renamed on 4 June 1841 as Upper Stillwater post office. This was renamed on 15 October 1892 as Stillwater post office, which is still operating.
7. West Great Works post office was renamed on 13 June 1890 as Great Works (2) post office, which was renamed on 14 September 1962 as Great Works Sta. Old Town. The latter closed on 1 September 1977.
8. West Old Town post office opened on 13 February 1886 and closed on 31 May 1919.
In 1914, there were four post offices in what is now Old Town: Great Works (2), Old Town, Stillwater, and West Old Town. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
(click on image to enlarge)