Islands of Moosehead Lake Postal History
Piscataquis County, Maine
last update for this page: 11 January 2021
Maine Postal History
Waterville Stamp Club
Thank you for the contriutions to this page from Roland Simard and from the Strout family collection.
During the history of the town of Islands of Moosehead Lake, there have been two post offices.
Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. Capens post office, a summer office, operated from 28 October 1889 to 31 July 1943
2. Sugar Island, a summer office, operated from 13 March 1906 to 31 January 1942.
In 1914, there were two post offices in the town of Islands of Moosehead Lake: Capens and Sugar Island. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
(click on image to enlarge)
Postmarks from the town of Islands of Moosehead Lake include:
1889 October 28:
Capens post office opened as a summer office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
1906 June 2-:
The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter.
1912 May 21:
The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 13 mm. (image side of card)
1943 May 31:
Capens post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)