Jonesboro Postal History
Washington County, Maine

last update for this page: 29 September 2020

Maine Postal History ------ Waterville Stamp Club

Thank you to James Husson for his contributions to this page.

During the history of the town of Jonesboro, there has been only one post office.

Briefly, the history of this one is as follows:
1. Chandler’s River post office was established on 29 July 1795 and was renamed on 1 October 1800 as Chandlersville Post office. Chandlersville post office was renamed on 1 August 1809 as Jonesborough post office, which is still operating (as Jonesboro post office).

In 1914, there only one post office in Jonesboro: Jonesboro. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      (click on image to enlarge)

Postmarks from the town of Jonesboro include:
Chandler’s River


1809 April 1:
   Jonesboro post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

   Jonesboro post office.
      (click on image to enlarge)

1934 November 8:
   The circular postmark is approximately 29 mm in diameter.
      (click on image to enlarge)

1950 May 11:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 20 mm.
      (click on image to enlarge)

   Jonesboro post office. 810 Main Street; Jonesboro, Maine  04648. Lat./Long.: N 44°39′32″ x W 67°34′38″
      (click on image to enlarge)

   Jonesboro post office is still in operation.